The possibility of pre-ordering the limited edition of the MEGA65 Development Kit was closed.
The following text is for information about the product only.
The 21st century realization of the Commodore™ 65 heritage: a complete 8-bit computer running more than 40x faster than a C64 while being increasingly compatible. Mechanical keyboard, digital video output, dual SDHC™ card support, Ethernet, extended memory and other features increase the fun without spoiling the 8-bit feel. Hardware designs and software are open-source.
This FPGA-based computer wants to be experienced, modified and improved. Development is ongoing!
Any questions? Please contact MEGA: https://www.m-e-g-a.org/contact/
MEGA65 Video Channel
MEGA65 DevKit Assembly
The DevKit, hence the name, is a kit. You need to assemble it yourself (or find someone to do it, which is easy if you use the forum and channels we give you access to). We are providing an assembly video to help you do this. Assembly usually takes 15 to 60 minutes, depending on your skills.
ARM™, AMIGA™, ATARI™, Commodore™, FTDI™, GEOS™, JTAG™, Kingston™, MAX™ 10, OPL2™, Pmod™, SDHC™, VGA™, XILINX™ are trademarks of their respective owners.
- Extremely fast and feature complete 8-bit home computer
- 3-FPGA-design with no closed-source ARM™ cores inside
- Completely Open Source and under continuous development
- Under development by dozens of ingenious nerds and M-E-G-A e.V. (non-profit organisation) since 2014
- Commodore™ 65-based architecture, highly Commodore™ 64 (wip) and 65 compatible
- AMIGA™, ATARI™ ST and other cores being developed or ported, or make your own core
- Use internal 3.5” floppy disk drive, SDHC™ cards und external disk drives, all at the same time
- Use many Commodore™ 64 cartridges with internal expansion slot
- Commodore™ 64 compatibility enhanced compared to original Commodore™ 65
- Limited developer’s production run: help shape the final product together with the developers!
- Powerful Xilinx™ Artix A7 200T FPGA for main integrated circuit, additional MAX™ 10 FPGA for recovery
- Incredibly high quality cherryMX™ based retro keyboard with metal frame
- Double shot keycaps that will last forever
- Shiny see-through compact acrylic glass case with laser engraved serial number
- Modern features like 100 MBit fast LAN, dual SDHC™ card slots, digital video and more
- Awesome chiptune potential: 4 SIDs, OPL2™ (wip), 4-channel 16-bit DMA-based Audio in FPGA
- Keyboard FPGA allows for easy control and reconfiguration to individual needs
- 40 MHz 8-bit CPU, 384 KB fast RAM, 8 MB serial RAM (wip)
- VIC-IV video controller with VGA™ and digital video connectors
- Digital and analog video output usable at the same time
- 3.5 mm 4-pin stereo audio socket. Audio is also sent on the digital video connector
- Internal Pmod™ connectors for additional expansions like Tape, Userport, extra memory or real SIDs
- JTAG™/FTDI™ programmer included for quick testing + flashing of bitstreams, debugging and coding
- Supports real 1541, 1571, 1581 Commodore™ drives via IEC Port
- Battery-backed real-time-clock
- Keyboard fits original Commodore™ 65 case
- Bundled with highly specialized and enhanced GEOS™ version (wip)
- Built-in freezer menu with countless save slots (depending on SDHC™ card size)
- Win, Mac and Linux tool chains and emulators for coding and sending files (PRG, SID, …)
- Multiple D81 disk image support also supporting AutoBoot
- Includes licensed Commodore™ 65 ROM